There are certain milestones for anyone who grows up in San Diego (in order of importance):
1. Your first California Burrito
2. Your first order of Carne Asada Fries
3. Crossing the border when you turn 18 (if not before) to eat real Mexican food (among other activities).
4. Going to prom at either Sea World or the Hotel Del.
5. The mandatory field trip to Old Town during elementary.
I haven’t been back to Old Town since that school field trip until last year. The old saloon, adobe buildings, it was all there. Exactly like an old town.